Equality and Diversity Policy
Diversity is about recognising difference. It is acknowledging the benefit of having a range of perspectives in decision-making and all employees being representative of the organisation’s customers and clients.
Inclusion is where difference is seen as a positive, where perspectives and differences are shared, leading to better decisions. An inclusive working environment is one in which everyone feels valued, that their contribution matters and they are able to perform to their full potential, no matter their background, identity or circumstances. An inclusive workplace enables a diverse range of people to work together effectively.
We take our legal and moral obligations towards being a diverse employer seriously.
Our objective is to be a more open, diverse and inclusive organisation. To realise this, we are committed to providing a great working environment which recognises that people from different backgrounds, experience and abilities can bring fresh ideas and innovation to improve our business and practices.
We have developed a strategy to ensure that the way we work across the organisation supports an inclusive culture which embraces difference. We aim to be transparent with behaviours and policies that have a positive commitment from everyone. Our ultimate aim is to ensure that we work in an environment which allows potential to be fulfilled without fear of discrimination.
Our focus is equal opportunity, fairness and transparency.
This policy covers all employees, contractors, temporary workers and job applicants. It applies to all aspects of employment, from recruitment and selection through to termination of employment.
- Focusing on fairness and inclusion, ensuring that merit, competence and potential are the basis for all recruitment decisions and be alert to the influence of conscious and unconscious stereotyping.
- Ensuring that job adverts don’t inadvertently deter candidates from applying and therefore attract and retain a wide pool of talented people into our organisation.
- We encourage an open culture with good communication channels based on open dialogue and active listening.
- We want our employees to have a “voice”
- Keeping employees up to date with diversity policies and practices
- Actively seek employees ideas and act on feedback through Employee Engagement Surveys and 360 feedback.
Learning and Development
- Everyone is responsible for upholding the standards set. All employees will be trained to understand and engage with this in the way they perform their role and work with colleagues. Increase awareness of the need to handle different views, perceptions and views in a positive way.
- Line Managers will be fully trained enabling them to respond appropriately to diversity needs.
- Awareness raising initiatives will be introduced on various aspects of diversity to help people appreciate difference.
- Diversity will be included in our Induction Programme, so all new employees are fully aware of the organisations values and policies.
Measure Review & reinforce
- Regularly audit, review and evaluate progress and highlight where any barriers exist (recruitment data for example).
- Use employee surveys to evaluate initiatives, to find out if policies are working for everyone, and to provide a platform for improvement. Also ask questions about the team culture and whether people feel there is equality of opportunity.
- Track actions to see if they have had the intended results and make appropriate changes if necessary
- Include diversity and inclusion objectives in job descriptions and appraisals.
- Benchmark progress against other Companies and explore what others are doing to adopt and adapt ideas where appropriate.
- Network with others inside and outside the Company to keep up to date and share learning.
We also have clear policies on recruitment and all forms of harassment, bullying and intimidating behaviour, making it clear such behaviour will not be tolerated and setting out the consequences go breaking the behaviour code.
- Equality in the workplace is good Management practice and makes sound business sense.
- We aim to create an environment in which individual differences and the contribution of all staff are recognised and valued.
- Every employee is entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all staff.
- We will review all our employment practices and procedures to ensure fairness
- This policy is full supported by Management
Striving to ensure that the work environment is free of harassment and bullying and that everyone is treated with dignity and respect is an important aspect of ensuring equal opportunities in employment. DeType has a separate harassment and bullying policy which deals with these issues.
All employees are responsible for the implementation of this policy and Managers will ensure that the policy is implemented as a matter of day to day management.
Every employee is required to assist DeType to meet its commitment to provide equal opportunities in employment and avoid unlawful discrimination.
All job applicants, colleagues and customers are treated fairly and impartially regardless of sex, race, gender, disability, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, age, religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status or any status or condition protected by law.