Deciding on the type of content to incorporate on your website is not a task to be taken lightly. Besides creating a sleek and well-designed site, it is highly recommended that you include content that:
- Offers valuable information
- Provides viable solutions to your customers’ problems
- Contains actionable positive advice
This type of content can attract lots of visitors from the Northampton area and in turn lead to potential sales and profits.
So, what type of website content for businesses will help you attract online traffic in Northampton? And what is the best combination of text and pictures to use to increase your online revenue?
Remember, every design feature, image and text should focus on the needs of your target audience. You must ensure your website is customer-centric. Write your content for the benefit of your readers and incorporate the information they are looking for; it should not only be well-organised but also designed in such a way as to keep visitors interested for long enough so that they:
- Buy your products
- Employ your services
- Take some action
If you want a customer to perform a particular action, make the process easy, whether it involves making a purchase, subscribing to an email list/newsletter or contacting you for more information.
Avoid using any content that may confuse your visitors. If they are distracted, they may forget why they clicked on your site in the first place! They may even decide to go to your competitors if they are frustrated by your website. Remember, the main objective of your site is to help visitors:
- Achieve their purpose
- Find a solution to their problems
- Make a purchase
- Subscribe to your offering
- Have an excellent user experience
What type of content do you need?
Deciding on the type of content to include on your website requires careful planning. It is essential that you discuss the following issues with your web designer.
- Users should be able to navigate the site easily so you must organise the pages logically. Choose familiar words on your menu to avoid visitors getting lost.
Remember, people are often in a hurry and may not have the patience to decipher your content.
2. Adopt a clean-looking layout and remove any clutter. Many designers recommend adding lots of white spaces to make the pages look professional. Make the design intuitive enough for visitors to quickly find what they need.
3. Copywriters recommend writing your content so that it appears you are talking to your visitors in person. Make sure your pages follow this format and try to avoid industry jargon if at all possible.
Write in the second person (‘you’ and ‘we’) and use contractions (‘you’ll’) to make your content seem friendly and informal.
4. Your website will be of little use if no one can find it. This is why you need Google and other search engines to rank your site. For this to happen, you must use SEO. Ask the developer how they can optimise your website. What SEO strategies will they implement?
5. People appreciate honesty and openness so make sure your website only presents facts. Support your claims with specific examples or evidence; for example, by using statistics.
6. Not everyone will have the same purpose when visiting your website. For example, if you own an online clothing store, some people will be interested in shoes while others will want to browse the trouser section. You can lead them directly to their preferred destination by using landing pages.
Pictures can help sell your products as people will naturally want to see what they are purchasing. While professional photos are desirable, they can be expensive. Fortunately, there is a cheaper alternative – stock photos. However, try to avoid using generic pictures that are used by lots of websites.
You may even decide to take the photos yourself or ask a friend who has some talent in this area. All that’s required is a decent camera or even a smartphone.
7. Website content for businesses should always be current. If your site looks outdated and is full of obsolete facts, you will lose credibility as well as customers. For this reason, you should constantly update your content and remove any useless information.
8. Always provide your contact information and position it where it will be easy to find. One good spot is the footer of each page. In addition, customers should be able to reach you with just one click – make it easy for them to contact you. Otherwise, they will simply go to your competitors.
9. People have little patience for filling out long forms and may hesitate to provide you with their details. If you want to encourage visitors to engage with you, ask as few questions as possible.
10. Don’t forget to incorporate your call-to-action on your pages – use it to lead visitors to your sales or contact page. Make sure you utilise relevant information to boost your chances of making a sale.
11. If you don’t provide enough information about your products and services, visitors may decide not to make a purchase. Don’t shy away from sharing essential details, especially with regard to prices.
Studies have shown that the most transparent websites that provide a wide range of valuable information are more successful in terms of converting visitors into buyers. Furthermore, search engines such as Google prefer websites that provide complete details.
However, too much information can also hinder your sales efforts. You need to make sure you strike the right balance.
Your website content can have a hugely positive impact on your sales, or at least help you avoid any losses. In order to achieve your business objectives, your web design and content should complement each other. This means you need to create or modify your website to cater to your visitors’ preferences. Make sure you utilise engaging images and always optimise for search engines. Also, don’t hesitate to provide full details about your products and services. It is always better to present as much relevant information as possible to entice your visitors to make a purchase. Finally, include a CTA on every page to encourage people to move to your landing pages.